Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast cares passionately about helping women, men and young people lead healthy lives. They believe that when people are truly cared for, they will make their lives, their families – and even the world – better and healthier.
“Care. No matter what.” is who they are and what they do. It’s their promise as a health care provider, educator, and advocate to truly care, no matter who you are, no matter where you live. It expresses their belief that all people deserve high-quality, affordable health care; their resolve to educate and inform people so they can make their own health decisions; and their commitment to fight for women to get the reproductive services they need.
Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast seeks a world in which all children are wanted and cared for, all women and men have equal rights and dignity, sexuality is expressed with honesty, equality, and responsibility, and the decision to bear children is private and voluntary.
Opened in 1936, as Houston’s first family planning center, The Maternal Health Center became Planned Parenthood of Houston in 1942. Following expansion into the surrounding communities, in 1979, the affiliate changed its name to Planned Parenthood of Houston and Southeast Texas. Planned Parenthood of Louisiana, which was established in New Orleans in 1984, expanded to include the Mississippi Delta area with the addition of the Baton Rouge Health Center in 1992. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the two affiliates merged to become Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast (PPGC).
Operating seven health centers in Texas and two in Louisiana, serving clients in 49 counties in Texas and the entire state of Louisiana, PPGC ensures all women, men and teens have access to safe, affordable health care and accurate information.
Headquartered in Houston, governed by a 32-person Board of Directors and operating with 250 employees and a $25 million annual budget, the mission of Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast is to ensure the right and ability of all individuals to manage their sexual and reproductive health by providing health services, education and advocacy.
Reporting to the Chief Medical Officer, the Vice President of Patient Services (VP) ensures PPGC is a market leader in reproductive health care throughout the Gulf Coast region. The VP is responsible for leading the clinical operations of the Patient Care department including Family Planning, Surgical Services, Ambulatory Care, and the Call Center. Leading the department and program managers, the VP develops and manages annual budgets, achieves annual goals, assesses results against objectives, and course corrects as necessary. The VP supervises a 100-person staff with the following direct reports:
- Ambulatory Surgical Center Director
- Call Center Director
- Director of Patient Experience
- Directors of Health Centers (3)
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
In support of PPGC’s commitment to protecting and promoting the rights of all patients and clients and to providing care and services that support physical well-being and quality of life, the VP will:
- Collaborate with Patient Care staff to ensure optimal patient experiences throughout all PPGC health centers.
- Ensure exemplary and consistent customer-focused care in all health care delivery.
- Maintain consistent evaluation of customer feedback and collaborates with the Director of Patient Experience to implement activities to enhance the customer experience.
- Create a culture of efficiency and excellence that increases patient cycle time and reduces client wait periods.
- Ensure a culture that embraces diversity, fair and respectful treatment of all persons, and customer-focused delivery throughout the organization.
Business and Operations
With the goals of increasing efficiencies and enhancing revenue, the VP will regularly assess operating results of programs against established objectives; evaluate general economic, business, and financial conditions and their impact on clinical operations, and identify solutions where problems exist. The VP will:
- Evaluate the results of overall health center operations regularly and systematically and report these results through internal Dashboard reports and other industry standard metrics (RVUs, HEDIS, etc.).
- Coordinate with Patient Care staff and the organization’s revenue cycle department to ensure that clinical and administrative functions are in place to adequately document and collect patient service revenue.
- Evaluate opportunities for efficiencies, centralization, and standardization within clinical operations with resulting implementation of efforts to promote such goals followed by regular assessment and re-tooling for maximum impact.
- Coordinate efforts with the Revenue Cycle Manager to seek opportunities for new third party payer contracts and to evaluate/renegotiate existing contracts.
- Work with the Medical Services team to lead and manage health center and service expansion, enhancement, relocation, and development plans.
- Negotiate and execute contracts with physicians, independent contractors, and other healthcare providers.
Strategic Leadership and Management
Working closely with the Executive and Management Teams to develop and implement strategic and annual plans, the VP will articulate the vision of the department and the affiliate to all clinical operations staff. Additionally, s/he will:
- Be responsible for strategic expansion, improvement, and synergistic program integration to leverage opportunities offered by prevention-focused provisions of commercial and Affordable Care Act insurance plans.
- Maintain the organizational structure and processes necessary to manage the organization’s current activities and its projected growth. Influence organizational change and efficiency as necessary to facilitate strategic initiatives and planned growth.
- Collaborate with the Director of Training and Development to ensure staff training programs are designed and implemented to equip Patient Care employees with the knowledge necessary to perform their jobs effectively, efficiently and safely, to ensure adequate management development, and to provide for capable management succession.
- Partner with Human Resources to promote creative and effective staff recruitment and retention activities to ensure that the organization is attracting and retaining motivated, energetic, dedicated staff at all levels within the Patient Care division.
- Actively participate in Leadership Team and Patient Care meetings.
- Promote, champion and facilitate integration, collaboration and teamwork between all departments throughout the organization to advance overall plans and initiatives.
Regulatory and Compliance
The VP will ensure that all organization activities and operations are carried out in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations, including:
- Ensure affiliate compliance with accrediting, licensing, and regulatory bodies including, but not limited to: PPFA, TDSHS, LDHH, HHSC, CLIA, OSHA, State Boards of Pharmacy, Medical Examiners, and Nurse Examiners.
- Serve as a member of affiliate quality and risk management and compliance committees.
Community, Affiliate and Industry Outreach and Partnerships
- Represents Clinical Operations to internal and external constituencies, including service on PPGC and other agencies’ committees and work teams.
- Ensures ongoing collaboration and networking with appropriate community partners, other health care providers/entities in the service area to promote PPGC as an essential community provider and to establish referral relationships.
- Work with affiliate executive and management teams to develop and implement affiliate-wide policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have a deep understanding of clinical operations and a track record of success in increasing efficiencies and improving patient experience. The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 5 – 7 years of senior leadership experience in a reproductive or other health care facility;
- Experience managing significant financial and budgetary responsibilities;
- Experience managing a large staff of clinical and non-clinical employees;
- Experience with quality assurance and risk management, and a commitment to operational excellence;
- Experience managing culture change and leading shifts in organizational dynamics;
- Knowledge of accrediting, licensing and regulatory requirements to ensure compliance with local and state (Texas and Louisiana) as well as federal laws;
- Experience in commercial insurance and billing systems;
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required. A Master’s Degree in health care administration or similar discipline is preferred.
The ideal candidate will exhibit strong leadership, analytical and project management capabilities. S/he will possess business acumen and formidable problem-solving and interpersonal skills. The VP will have strong oral and written communication skills and will uphold the highest standards of quality, professionalism and customer service.
The ability to manage, motivate and inspire a team of professionals to deliver high-quality health care is essential. The successful candidate will be strategic, entrepreneurial and driven to lead PPGC through the shifting health care landscape. The VP must be ardently pro-choice and assiduously supportive of Planned Parenthood’s mission.
Our client is offering a highly competitive compensation package for this position with a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, FSA, 401(k) savings with employer match and generous paid leave. Basic relocation expenses may be considered for the exceptional individual they are seeking.
With women’s reproductive health decisions under continual assault by conservative leaders and politicians nationally, there has never been a time when the work of Planned Parenthood has been more critical for those who may not have other access to healthcare in their communities. In addition to providing cancer screenings, pregnancy counseling and the termination of unwanted pregnancies, Planned Parenthood also offers educational programs that enhance the understanding of the individual and societal implications of human sexuality. This position is an opportunity to support these vital services and to contribute to a healthier and more responsible society.
HOUSTON – The City with No Limits
Where else could you eat at a different restaurant every day for 23½ years and not visit the same restaurant twice? Houston is the Culture and Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 600 bars and 8,600 restaurants and eating establishments serving more than 60 cuisines.
Where else could you enjoy three museums or performing arts companies per week without repeating? Houston is home to 83 museums and cultural sites and 79 performing arts companies and one of the few U.S. cities to offer world class, year-round resident companies in all of the major performing arts – symphony, opera, drama and ballet.
In the nation’s fourth largest city, you can savor all of this plus explore miles of scenic green space in two of the 10 largest urban parks in the U.S.; ride along downtown’s interconnected bikeway network; enjoy outdoor concerts, farmer’s markets and festivals; or drive less than an hour to swim in the Gulf of Mexico.
Houston’s myriad neighborhoods offer something for every age and stage of life. Best of all, when compared to the 20 most populous metropolitan areas, Houston ranks third lowest in overall cost of living and its housing costs are 36.6 percent below average. With no state tax and affordable housing, Houston’s overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all U.S. urban areas.
No wonder, for the fifth consecutive year, Houston ranked first as “Top Destination City” for U-Haul rentals.
Please submit a brief cover letter and résumé as attachments via e-mail to:
Joseph McCormack, Managing Partner
Michelle Kristel, Partner
1775 E. Palm Canyon Drive, Suite 110-202
Palm Springs, CA 92264
All inquiries or referrals will be held in strict confidence.
Please note that your education, dates of employment, compensation and other information provided will be verified prior to employment.
McCormack+Kristel works only with equal opportunity employers. People of color, people with disabilities and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.